This is the time of year were many commercial roofs experience damages due to weather conditions. Check out these common causes to why your commercial roof can begin to leak and how to fix the problem.
1) PONDING WATER: As many commercial roofs are flat, ponding water on the roof’s surface can be an issue. If not resolved, ponding water will eventually lead to a roof leak. To fix this, you would want to have a commercial roofing contractor assess how best to mitigate ponding water and prevent it from causing future issues.
2) DAMAGED, AGED OR RUSTED FLASHING: Flashing is designed to protect against leaks around HVAC equipment, vents, pipes and chimneys. Over time flashing can become rusty, corroded, dented and damaged. This will allow water to seep through to a building’s interior. The best option to not let this happen is to have flashing inspected and replaced when it is determined to be faulty.
3) SEAM DAMAGE: Many commercial roofs consist of membranes that bond together at seams. This can become damaged through exposure to the elements. When these membranes are compromised, roof leaks can happen.
4) LOOSE OR MISSING FASTENERS: On metal roofing systems and metal accessories on membrane roofs, movement from high winds, rain, and other elements can cause fasteners to loosen or go missing. This can cause roof leaks and other major issues. Having regular maintenance to tighten and replace faulty fasteners can save building owners and property managers from major headaches when it comes to roofing issues.
5) WRINKLES ON MEMBRANES OR FLASHING: When there is movement between a roof deck and the perimeter, the flashing or membrane edges can wrinkle on a 45-degree angle that is often referred to as a fish mouth because it resembles a bass mouth-like appearance. This can turn into a tunnel leading water into a building’s interior. Scheduling regular inspections will quickly identify this vulnerability.
Any one of the above issues can lead to an early demise of a roofing structure when ignored. On the other hand, staying on top of roof repairs and regular maintenance can lead to a prolonged life span of a commercial roof.
Why Your Commercial Roof is Leaking
Any commercial roof can suffer from a variety of different types of damages. This can be due to its exposure to the elements. Your roof gives protection and is the first to come in contact with these elements. It is extremely important to schedule regular inspections and maintenance to prevent unexpected surprises that can occur during commercial roof leaking.
The harmful UV rays, extreme temperatures, high winds, rain, hail, sleet, ice and snow can all be attributed to sudden roof leaks and failures. Often building owners and property managers assume that a full roof replacement is in order when it comes to fixing a leaky roof. However, this is not the case at all. In fact, in many circumstances a less expensive and labor intensive solution is available to fix a leaky roof and actually strengthen and extend the life of a commercial roofing system. This would either entail a roof restoration or a roof replacement. A roof replacement is not always the answer when you have a leaky roof. That’s why there are roof coating processes that illuminate the need to replace the whole roof and fix the current leak along with preventing ones in the future!
It is important to note if you notice your commercial roof is starting to leak, to not ignore it. If not repaired immediately it can become costly and even harmful if not mitigated as soon as possible.
Robert Burke, President of Restore It Commercial Roofing, personally trains and oversees all employees to ensure the job is done right. He has decades of knowledge and hands-on industry experience, so he can handle any type of problem. Not to mention, a full range of product knowledge in order to select the right one to protect your commercial roof!
How Our Elastomeric Roof Coatings Solve Roof Leaks for Delaware Commercial Properties – Restore It Commercial Roofing, Inc
Why Preventative Maintenance for Commercial Roofing is Important – Restore It Commercial Roofing, Inc