Winter is coming. Preparing your commercial roof for colder weather will alleviate headaches throughout the season. Fluctuating temperatures from freezing to melting temperatures
Preparing a commercial roof for ice, snow and freezing temperatures is a prudent way to protect your building. With cold weather ahead, we thought sharing some tips on how to winterize a commercial roof might be a timely subject.
No-one wants to deal with a faulty roof, especially in the winter. Inspecting and maintaining your roof now can minimize damage from winter’s extreme weather. Commercial roofs take a beating all year round. But when it comes time to hunker down for winter, it is important to have your roof in great shape so it can do its job.
7 Steps to Winterize a Commercial Roof:
- Schedule a Roof Inspection: Be proactive by having a professional roofer perform a full inspection to look for any potential issues that may become worse during colder weather. A roofing contractor is better able to identify any weak spots on your commercial roof.
- Apply Fresh Caulking: Caulking can become dry and brittle as it ages. It doesn’t last forever and needs to be refreshed regularly. Replace any caulking that shows signs of wrinkling, cracking or missing entirely. Re-caulk vulnerable areas as soon as possible.
- Check all Flashing: The flashing around skylights, chimneys, dormer windows, vents and HVAC units can also deteriorate as it ages. Ensure all flashing is installed properly and protecting your roof from leaking. Replace any damaged, loose or missing flashing.
- Clean and Repair Gutters: Blocked gutters can cause major leakage issues on a commercial roof. Keep gutters free of debris and check for signs of weak spots or missing fasteners. Repair and replace any faulty gutters or downspouts immediately. Clean gutters will prevent ice dams or icicles from compromising the gutters and roof.
- Power Wash to Eliminate Debris Buildup: Silt buildup or excess debris can trap water and cause it seep into the tiniest of cracks. Keeping your commercial roofing clear of debris will eliminate possible issues from occurring.
- Inspect Valleys: A valley is typically sloped to divert water away from the roof. Valleys that are sloped incorrectly or cracked can allow seepage as water runs in the wrong direction.
- Identify any type of Pest Damage: Pests, such as rodents, squirrels or insects seek a warm shelter this time of year. Pests can cause major damage if undetected. Look for signs of a nest or a gnawed entry and call a professional exterminator if needed.
The more you do before winter arrive to protect your commercial roofing system, the better chance you will have making it through the winter months without any major issues. Preforming regular maintenance will expand the lifespan of roof.
Another possible way to prolong your roof’s lifespan is to restore it with a roof coating that permeates all possible flaws, such as cracks or holes. A roof coating will keep the integrity of your roofing system covered for the rough weather ahead.
Roof leaks are frustrating to property owners. Not only because of the damage a leak does to a building’s interior, but because finding the cause of the leak is hard. Restore It Commericial Roofing of Delaware has contractors that are experts at finding the cause of a leaky roof.
Have you had your roof repaired several times and still have a leak? It’s time to call a professional. Restore It Commercial Roofing helps many Delaware property owners identify the best solution their roofing problems.
We will perform a full roof inspection, as well as provide you with a free estimate. Our workmanship is guaranteed and we do our best to make your commercial roof working at its best.
Check out these previous articles:
Robert Burke, President of Restore It Commercial Roofing, personally trains and oversees all employees to ensure the job is done right. He has decades of knowledge and hands-on industry experience, so he can handle any type of problem. Not to mention, a full range of product knowledge in order to select the right one to protect your commercial roof!