Roof Coatings are a very affordable option to repair and restore an aging metal roof. Roof coatings extend the life of a roof. When a reflective coating is applied, it can reduce heat transfer into the building and decrease thermal shock. Roof coatings are also very effective in stopping leaks.
The successfulness of a roof coating depends strongly on a sufficient preparation and cleaning of the roof before a coating application. For the purpose of this article, we would like to concentrate on the steps to prepare a metal roof for a roof coating application.
Here are 5 Tips on Preparing a Metal Roof for Coating:
1) Remove Rust: Do a thorough inspection of the roof for any signs of rust and remove by wire brush, acid etching or sand blasting
2) Clean the Surface: Acid etch galvanized metal surfaces with a 1:20 solution of ‘’Rust Off’ (rust and oxide remover) and water to clean. Rinse thoroughly. Power wash and scrub entire roof.**[see note below on new metal roofing prep]
3) Tighten & Secure: Tighten all the fasteners and secure the substrates. Replace faulty or missing fasteners and washers.
4) Seal Fasteners: Seal all exposed fastener heads and seams wider than 1/8”
5) Brush or Power Blow: Just before the coating application, bush or power blow all dirt, dust, etc…
**[Note: New Metal Roof Prep]: For new metal roofing materials, remove oil contaminants by wiping with mineral spirits and a coarse rag. Either acid-etch surface as explained above or allow to “weather etch” naturally for 3 to 6 months.
Roof coatings add durability, resistance to UV rays and leaks, which will extend the lifespan of any roof and offer savings on energy bills. Roof coatings can save you from having to rip off the roof and avoid the cost of a full roof replacement.
Whether it’s a business in Delaware or the Tri-State area, RestoreItCommercialRoofing sends a dedicated team to your site to ensure the completed job is a success. Our proactive approach emphasizes safety and noninvasive scheduling to minimize distractions or disruptions in your place of business. Contact us today to schedule your roof restoration estimate!