Preparing a commercial roof for ice, snow and freezing temperatures is a great way to protect your building. With cold weather on the horizon, we thought sharing some tips on how to winterize a commercial roof might be a timely subject.
Winter is a bad time to deal with a faulty roof. Take care of your roof now to minimize damage from winter’s extreme weather makes a world of sense. Commercial roofs take a beating all year round, but when it comes time to hunker down for winter, it is important to have your roof in mint condition.
5 Ways to Winterize a Commercial Roof:
- Start with an Inspection of the Roof: Stopping an issue begins with having a professional roofer doing a full inspection to look for any potential damage. They will know what to look for and identify any weak spots on your commercial roof.
- Inspect Caulking: Caulking is effective, yet doesn’t last forever. It will eventually wear out and need replacing. Signs of faulty caulking is wrinkled, crumbled or missing entirely. Re-caulk vulnerable areas as soon as possible.
- Look at Flashing: Flashing protects certain roof features such as skylights, chimneys, dormer windows, vents and HVAC units. Make sure flashing is installed and working properly. Replace any damaged, loose or missing flashing.
- Clean and Repair Gutters: Check gutters for weak spots and damage. Repair and replace any faulty gutters or downspouts immediately. Blocked gutters can’t drain properly. This can cause backups, allowing water to seep through to the interior of a building causing extensive damage. Clean gutters prevents ice dams from severely damaging your gutters and roof.
- Check for any Damage from Pests: This is the time of year pests, such as rodents, squirrels and insects seek a warm shelter inside. Often, these pests go unnoticed until major damage is done. If you do find signs of a nest or a gnawed entry, call a professional for removal.
Keep in mind that the better job you do protecting your roof and preforming regular maintenance, the longer lifespan your commercial roof will have. Another very viable option to prolong the life of your roof is to apply a roof coating. If you are interested in finding out more about that, check out these previous articles:
10 Benefits of Roof Coatings for Your Commercial Roof
Silicone Vs Acrylic Roof Coatings: Which is Right for My Roof?
5 Money Saving Advantages of White Roof Coatings
Restore It Commercial Roofing, Inc. sends a fully trained and dedicated team to your commercial roofing project to ensure that job is completed in a professional and timely manner. Our proactive approach emphasized safety and noninvasive scheduling to minimize distractions or disruptions in your place of business. Contact us today to schedule your roof restoration estimate.
Let Restore It Commercial Roofing, Inc. save you money and prolong the lifespan of your roof.
Our employees are trained by Robert Burke, President of Restore It Commercial Roofing. We have the product knowledge and hands-on industry experience to handle any type of problem. Not to mention, we have a full range of products to protect your commercial roof!